January 24th, 2020


Careful What You Wish For

While I was reading "1984" several years ago, I had this strange thought in the back of my mind. "What if some politician used this as some sort of playbook?" I was thinking in terms of some great cabal that takes ultimate power. We knew that type of shit could thrive and survive in totalitarian states like Russia and China, but not here! Enter Trump. He points out how fragile our system can be. If one party really wanted to, they could seize total control. Fortunately the Republicans were to incompetent when they had 2 years of total control to fully pull off such a scheme, but they came close! And they continue to make progress! We are dangerously close to the United States of Jesus. Fortunately, religion continues to lose its grip as more people recover from the Kool-Aid our parents forced us to drink. But Corporate America has its tentacles deep into both the Right and the Left. It got its massive tax cut and continues to feed from the Industrial Military Complex trough thanks to both parties. You know that there was lots of smoke-filled back room politics going on when the Trump Tax cut went through. They got their sycophant with Trump who was part of the club. Fuck the 99%. I'm just praying that they don't go for some sort of end game where they go for as much of the rest of the 1% as they can and we end up as some feudal system not just like in the Middle Ages, but some Mad Max dystopia.

So I started thinking that I hope there is some cabal on the Left where if the Democrats once again gained control of the House, Senate, and White House like back in 2008, they could ramrod a bunch of progressive policies much like the Republicans did in 2016. The problem with Obama is that he tried to play nice. He wanted old skool Democracy where people compromised. He should have heeded the red flags when Turtle McConnell made the statement that his one and only goal was to make him a one-term president. No one saw Trump coming and the lengths the Republicans would go (or should I say depths to which they would sink) to make him (their) emperor. So I'm guessing the pendulum will swing just as hard to the Left if the situation should arise. On the one paw I would welcome this. Medical care for all. Unencumbered access to voting. Rights for gays, women, trans etc. Sounds good. Smart and compassionate immigration. OK.

Where the feeling of my subject line comes into play is that I start thinking about the other book I read several years ago, "Darkness at Noon." There were lots of very smart people in pre-Soviet Russia that also wanted lots of things for the poor and disenfranchised. They fought for the right of the workers. They demanded the rights for the peasants living in poverty. They had great ideas for a Utopian society where everyone was free and equal! And yeah. How well did that work out? Those very smart people eventually ended up on the gallows or in front of a firing squad.

So after all of this typing, what the hell is my point? *lol* I'm not sure myself. This is just me thinking aloud. I don't have the solution. I'm almost sorry to say that my fallback position always seems to be that of the "shameless opportunist" I mentioned here a long time ago from the movie "Catch 22." Whatever flag you fly, I will salute it as long as you don't take away my warm bed, my food, and my bourbon.