Management finally picked up that this was a critical issue. We all gathered in an office to decide what the next course of action should be. It was suggested to increase the release even more! We didn't want to just stabilize the situation, we needed to turn this thing around ASAP! It was decided that the new increased release should be made. I ran to my computer to gather some facts. I was amazed! A release of this magnitude had not been made since 1941! Only one other time was it even close and that was 1973. So we're in really uncharted territory here. I may get a flight over the river tomorrow to take pics to document the record flows. If nothing else, I plan on taking the new vehicle out for a nice long drive up to the reservoir on Sunday to get some pics. This is really exciting stuff! I'm not so anxious any more that the dam could fail, but rather I'm thrilled to see such historical flows.
I should also add that I did a mea culpa to management and said that we could have possibly avoided this situation if I were more aggressive in increasing my releases a week or 2 earlier. It was pretty much shrugged off. They know I did the best I could with the knowledge that was presented to me at the time. No one really saw the record high temperatures and the results they produced on the snowpack. Hopefully that holds true in the future, or else I could be re-assigned to North Dakota. ;oP