Sabot L'ours (sabotlours) wrote,
Sabot L'ours

Otto: Day 3

I bet you never thought that you would ever hear me say this, but here it goes. I'm getting too old for this. Seriously! After 3 days of fursuit performance, I'm beat!

It could possibly be due to the fact that today was one of the best gigs I have ever done. I was on! It started out on a rather sour note in that we were a bit late arriving at the venue in Santa Fe. By the time I had suited up, all but one class was already situated in their classrooms. The one class I did get to interact with seemed to be very receptive. Things were a little better than last year in that I was given an actual dressing room for a headless lounge. Last year I had to make due with a family bathroom and a storage area. When I went out to meet the kids as they changed classrooms, I picked up a very positive vibe. I was immediately pounced by a class wanting their picture taken. During the next break I met another class which was very happy to meet me. Then came lunch. I went outside to interact with all of the different classes and was immediately mobbed. I had a very good handler who didn't allow anyone to even come close to messing with my tail or whiskers. One school was predominantly Hispanic with the kids mainly speaking Spanish. I could tell by the expression on some of their faces that they had never interacted with any sort of mascot character before. And then I heard the dreaded phrase, "Hey, Otto! Autograph my shirt!" The floodgates were immediately thrown open, and soon I was signing "Otto!" on about 100 t-shirts. Gah! The exact same thing happened last year! I spent at least 30 minutes straight signing autographs (or Ottographs as they were soon known by). I took a well-deserved break in my headless lounge where I devoured a tasty sammich. I could tell that Santa Fe school system had a little more money because the sammich was a deluxe roast beef and brie on black olive bread as opposed to my Subway ham sammich I received in Carlsbad. But I digress. I then did my usual schtick of seeing the kids onto their buses. OMG! It was once again a huge hug fest. My ego exploded when I kept hearing comments like "You're so awesome, Otto!" Every class wanted to drag me onto their bus and take me home with them. When the last bus departed I collapsed into a sweaty, furry pile. I have one more day to go tomorrow. My body is aching and I want to crawl into bed even though it's not even 9 o'clock yet. Talk about a labor of love.
  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.