Sabot L'ours (sabotlours) wrote,
Sabot L'ours
sabotlours

Garden Update: The Final Tally

Here we go! The final produce count for the 2010 garden.

Zucchini - 11 from 2 mounds
Wow. What a disappointment! After the plants took over a huge part of the garden, they produced relatively few zukes. I controlled the squash bugs, but I think the aphids did their damage before I could get them under control. I need to invest in some ladybugs next year!

Green Peppers - 33 from 4 plants
This was probably the best year for green peppers that I have ever had. I'm not even sure if all 4 plants survived the initial planting when a lot of my peppers got munched by something. They were sooooo flavorful! I made stuffed peppers a few times and they were out of this world!

Poblano (Ancho) Peppers - 40 from 1 plant
This was the 1st year I tried growing them, and I would say it was a huge success! I originally had 4 plants, but they all got munched by something early on. One managed to survive and eventually grew to about 3' tall! In all honesty about 10 of the peppers were harvested a couple of days ago and were pretty darn small.

Green Chile - 100 from 4 plants
Well, I think it was 4. Maybe 1 got munched. This was my best crop ever! I roasted a couple of batches and they were delish! I even shared them on the trip to Yellowstone. They make any sammich mo' tasty! (I'm having an "Albuquerque Turkey" for lunch today!"

Green Beans - 252 from 5 plants
Another great success! I tossed in a short row of seeds as an afterthought when I saw I had a little room. There's nothing quite like fresh steamed beans!

Eggplant - 28 from 4 plants
They struggled a bit throughout the year, but they still produced. We went with the Japanese variety this year, but I think I'm going back to the regular variety next.

Cucumbers - 122 from 5 plants
And now you know why I ended up making about 10 gallons of pickles this year! They went insane!

Tomatoes - 92 from 6 plants
I heard from a lot of gardeners this year that the plants put on a lot of vegetation, but produced relatively few fruits. At least the fruits ripened at a nice even pace so that I was not inundated with bunches at a time. Several batches of salsa were made!

Jalapeno Peppers - 133 from 4 plants
Once again, it might have been only 3 plants after the great pepper massacre. I hope whatever ate them ended up with a flaming butthole! I tried pickling them as well. We shall see how they come out!

So there you have it! Not a bad haul for a plot of about 30 square feet.
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

    Error

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 11 comments