It was a long and tedious process to get the ducks in a row, but things finally came together. Seeing as my funding might be ending at the end of next month as we begin a new fiscal year, I decided to get my butt out there and start working. Conditions, however, are less than optimal at this time of the year. Heat is the biggest issue. OMG! I don't think I have sweat that much outside of a fursuit. Perhaps even IN fursuit I sweat less. I only brought a half gallon of water with me which was a mistake. Next time, double that. There was very little shade, and the Sun was brutal. I'm using a laptop to download the data and by the end of the day it was covered in dust and sweat. There were big streaks of salt running down the monitor. In the field that brutal Sun also makes reading the display a real challenge. Sweat on the touch pad also makes it hard to move the cursor (if I could even see the damn thing!) Finally there are bugs. Flies like nothing better than a sweaty fat guy. I'm also kneeling on the ground (which eventually got so hot it almost burned me through my jeans) and there always seems to be an ant hill close by. By the time I got home, I was completely and totally exhausted, not to mention pretty darned dehydrated.
I hope to get into a better routine as time goes on. I got about 9 wells done out of a total of over 200. Yeah. This might take awhile. Oh for some clouds and cooler temps!